Wednesday 11 December 2019

Life-cycle of a Tuatara

We have been learning to write an explanation about animal life-cycle. We had to include a title, introduction, subtitles, conclusion, technical language, factual information, a topic and stages. We also learnt about pandas and frogs but I chose Tuataras. It went well because when I had my plan done I could just look at it and then write it down on the document. My next step is to maybe think about detail. What do you like about Tuataras? Have you written a life-cycle before?


Here is my writing on the life-cycle of a Tuatara.
The life-cycle of a Tuatara!


Today I am going to tell you about the life-cycle of a Tuatara!

Stage one: the egg.

A female Tuatara lay 10 to 19 eggs in a deep underground burrow.
A Tuataras eggs are soft and leathery.
An egg with a female inside is warm and an egg with a male inside is cold.

Stage two: the hatchling

A baby hatchling will come out of the egg. The hatchlings are left to defend themselves by their mother.
[It's kind of mean.] A hatchling has 3 eyes for some weird reason. [It is cool though.]

Stage three: the juvenile.

Juvenile Tuataras don't have babies or mate yet.
Eventually the juvenile Tuatara grow scales over their 3rd eye.
For the first 15 years of its life a Tuatara is called a juvenile.

Stage four: the adult.

Adult Tuataras are about 45 to 60 centimeters long.
A Tuatara has been alive before the extinction of the dinosaurs.
Tuataras have been alive for almost 200 million years. Tuataras lay eggs every 3 to 4 years. 

What did you learn about Tuataras? Do you have one as a pet? Do you even like Tuataras?

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post