Tuesday 24 August 2021

All Children Should Learn A Second Language In School

 W.A.L.T. Critical thinking.

I have an argument for why children should learn a second language in scool and here's why:

I think Children should learn a second language in school because it slows dementia, helps with multitasking and gives you sharper focus.


Being bilingual isn’t as bad as you think. Sure, it’s hard to learn another language but if you do you can have a lot of good things in life that other people won’t have and you can be a really good translator.


My first reason is that it slows dementia. We still need a little bit more research, but it’s shown that being bilingual slows dementia by 5 years. Dementia is a general term for loss of memory, language, problem-solving and other thinking abilities that are severe enough to interfere with daily life. 

Credit to google for the definition.


My second reason is that it helps with multitasking. Most people find multitasking really hard because they aren’t used to doing 2 things at nearly the same time. Don’t worry though! If you’re bilingual it becomes much easier to switch from one thing to another quickly and with more ease than if you only speak one language.


My final reason is that it can give you sharper focus. If you are bilingual you have both languages activated at the same time, monitoring which language is appropriate for which situation. That can give you better attention and sharper focus.


There you have it, that's why it’s important to learn a second language. It slows dementia, helps with multitasking and can give you sharper focus. Thank you for reading and listening to my argument.

Thanks to Psych 2 go for the information


1 comment:

  1. Wow Fox, these are some really strong and thoughtful points. I love the way that you have shared your ideas in paragraphs and each reason is so clear!

    Miss Pownall

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post